Ferrous sulfate is blue-green monoclinic crystal or particle, no smell. It is weathered in dry air and oxidized to brown basic ferric sulfate in moist air. It becomes tetrahydrate at 56.6 ℃ and monohydrate at 65 ℃. Soluble in water, almost insoluble in ethanol. Its aqueous solution oxidizes slowly in air when it is cold and fast when it is hot. The addition of alkali or light can accelerate the oxidation. The relative density (D15) was 1.897. It's irritating. Anhydrous ferrous sulfate is a white powder, containing crystal water is a light green crystal, commonly known as "alum", dissolved in water solution is light green.
Melting point (℃): 64 (loss of 3 crystalline water);
Relative density (water = 1): 1.897 (15 ℃);
Molecular formula and molecular weight: FeSO4 · 7H2O (278.03) FeSO4 (152);
Solubility: soluble in water, glycerin, insoluble in ethanol.
Boiling point: 330 ° C at 760 mmHg
Function and application of ferrous sulfate
Ferrous sulfate can be used to produce iron salts, iron oxide pigments, mordants, water purification agents, preservatives, disinfectants, etc;
1. Ferrous sulfate for water treatment
It is used for flocculation and purification of water and removal of phosphate from municipal and industrial wastewater to prevent eutrophication of water body.
2. Reducing agent
It is mainly used as reducing agent of ferrous sulfate in cement.
Ferrous sulfate is used in the treatment of iron deficiency anemia; it is also used to add iron in food. Long term excessive use may cause abdominal pain, nausea and other side effects.
It can also be used as a local astringent and blood tonic, and can be used for chronic blood loss caused by uterine fibroids.
A. ferrous sulfate is needed in the production of iron tannate ink and other inks. It also contains ferrous sulfate for wood dyeing.
B. ferrous sulfate can be used to dye concrete to yellow rust color.
C. carpenters use ferrous sulfate to dye Maple with silver color.
Regulating soil pH and promoting the formation of chlorophyll (also known as iron fertilizer) can prevent and control the yellow disease of flowers and trees caused by iron deficiency. It is an indispensable element of acid flowers and trees, especially iron trees.
It can also be used as fertilizer to control apple scab and scab on fruit trees.
6. Analytical Chemistry
Ferrous sulfate can be used as a chromatographic reagent.
Local airtight ventilation, 1.
2. Prevent dust from being released into the air of the workshop. Operators must be specially trained and strictly abide by the operation rules.
3. It is suggested that operators should wear self-priming filter dust masks, chemical safety glasses, rubber acid and alkali resistant clothes and rubber acid and alkali resistant gloves.
4. Avoid dust.
5. Avoid contact with oxidant and alkali.
6. Equipped with leakage emergency treatment equipment. The empty container may contain harmful substances.
1. Store in a cool and ventilated warehouse.
2. Keep away from fire and heat source.
3. Prevent direct sunlight.
4. The package must be sealed, and do not get damp.
5. It should be stored separately from oxidant and alkali, and mixed storage is not allowed.
6. The storage area should be equipped with suitable materials to hold the leakage.